Legislative issues can have an impact on both a local and national level. It is important to know the issues and to know who to contact on these issues. The following links include websites of organizations who advocate on behalf of those affected with diseases including ataxia as well as government officials and information on relevant laws for those living with ataxia.
- American Brain Coalition's Advocacy goal: to alleviate the burden of brain disease.
- Genetic Alliance – Call to action on current policy issues related to the genetics community.
- NORD’s advocacy initiatives for the Rare Disease Community
- Encourage your member of Congress to join the Rare Disease Congressional Caucus
- Rare Disease Legislative Advocates
Americans with Disabilities Act
Although the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) became federal law in 1992, many of us have little or no understanding of what it is. Click here to learn more about the details of the ADA.
- A guide to Disability Rights Laws
- Insurance Coverage for Pre-Existing Conditions
- Job Accommodation Network
- U.S. Dept. of Education's Office of Civil Rights: Protecting Students with Disabilities FAQ
- United States House of Representatives
- United States Senate
- US Department of Education Office of Special Education Programs